The Novant Health Charlotte Marathon (NHCM) invites elite runners from around the US to create a diverse and exciting marathon field.
Athletes who wish to compete in the NHCM in the elite field must:
- Run a marathon or half marathon under the qualifying time within a year from 10/1/19
- Comparable times for events between a half marathon and marathon are also accepted.
- Must complete and submit an Elite Athlete Invitation Request form
- Must be invited by the race
- Must be PED-free
*Times must have been run on a USATF certified course within twelve months of the application deadline (7/15) and verified by the race’s director or in their official published results.
INVITED ATHLETE TIMELINE
February 1 – September 1st: Invitation Requests accepted here.
July 22 – July 27: First round of invited athletes emailed out. Invitations received after will be replied to on a rolling basis.
July 16 – October 30: Invited athlete must submit travel information/itinerary to race.
Mid October: List of invited elite athletes is published.
November 12-15: Housing Available to invited athletes/
November 14: Race Day!
Questions? Please contact the race staff at email@example.com.
BENEFITS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Complimentary entry into the MARATHON DISTANCE
- Access to the elite athlete area on race day – Private group indoor room to stretch prior to the race, with warm restrooms, an escort to the start line and volunteers who will gather any discarded clothing items for bag check. Bags can be picked up post-race in the pre-race stretching / VIP room.
- One additional complimentary ticket to our VIP lounge ($35 value) for a friend or relative to enjoy race morning.
Access to Housing based on Availablity
- Offering to marathon runners first, then half based on availability.
Any athlete receiving the benefits outlined above is obligated to:
- Be available at the Race Director’s request for up to 2 hours Friday during expo hours and Saturday after the race for 90 minutes. This could be for media interviews, panel discussions, awards presentations or any other reasonable request.
- Schedules will be arranged with athletes in advance for planning purposes.
- Attend a select few local community events as your schedule allows and asked to participate in an episode ‘Running Around Charlotte’ podcast.
Top 3 Men and Women:
First Place: $700
Second Place: $400
Third Place: $250
*Prize money is determined based on gun time and only for marathon competitors. Checks will be mailed after all times have been verified and all athletes clear drug testing.
**These prizes are for marathon distance only
PLANNING YOUR TRIP
When to Arrive in Charlotte
Athletes should plan travel to arrive on either Thursday or Friday no later than 3 PM. This will allow the athlete to meet their expectations at the expo on Friday and settle in before their race on Saturday. Charlotte Douglas Airport is very convenient to Charlotte and is recommended if flying.
Accomodations in Charlotte
NHCM will be able to provide housing in private homes for selected elite athletes who need to travel 40 miles or more, but this will be decided on a case-by-case basis with preference given to those who contact us before July 16. All athletes who have been promised housing should arrive in Charlotte on Thursday, or no later than 3 PM on Friday in order to be housed. Please do not bring unexpected guests as we can NOT house spouses, coaches, or friends.
The Novant Health Charlotte Marathon (NHCM) has a zero-tolerance drug policy. Athletes who compete for prize money at the NHCM may be subject to drug testing conducted by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Athletes with positive drug test results will forfeit any prize money and will be disqualified from the NHCM. Athletes who previously have been suspended for violations of the drug policies of USA Track & Field (USATF) or the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) will not be invited to the NHCM and are not eligible for a professional number, prize money, or any assistance.
ELITE ATHLETE COORDINATORS
Elite Athlete Coordinators
Christo Landry and James Perez are the elite athlete coordinators. As Mr. Perez is a potential athlete, he will not be involved in the selection of athletes.